Hey there! If you’ve been feeling some tummy troubles or menstrual pain lately, or just want a good ol’ stretch for your legs and feet, I’ve got a pose for you: the Hero. By the way, if you’ve had any recent ankle or knee issues, let’s chat before you give this one a whirl.
Pro tip: When starting out, it’s super helpful to use a yoga block under your seat. It helps with positioning and ensures you’re not putting too much strain on your knees. No pain allowed here!
Here’s how we’ll do it:
- Set the Stage: Grab your yoga mat, and place a block near its front end. Start by kneeling on the mat with your ankles near the block, with your knees about hip-width apart.
- Take a Seat: With a deep breath in, as you breathe out, lower your bum down between your heels onto the block. Your feet should be on either side of the block. Feel comfy? If not, and especially if your knees are protesting, adjust the height of the block or add another to lift your hips more.
- Feet & Knees Check: Your feet should be pressing down evenly, not leaning in or out. Inner heels should lightly touch your outer hips. Keep those thighs straight and parallel.
- Sit Tall & Breathe: Imagine a string pulling you up from the crown of your head. Feel tall, open in the chest, and relaxed. Breathe in deeply, and as you breathe out, let go of any tension or stress. Just enjoy being in the moment.
- Chillin’ Like a Hero: Beginners? Aim for about 30 seconds here. As you get more comfy, try to stay longer, up to 5 minutes if it feels good.
- Exiting with Grace: When you’re ready, lean forward onto your hands and knees and stretch out those legs, one at a time.
And there you have it – the Hero pose! Not only are you giving your body some love, but you’re also finding that inner strength. Rock on!